Thursday 25 May 2017

EXCLUSIVE: DJ Sam Feldt speaks to TopReviews4U ahead of South West Four 2017

With the dance music extravaganza South West Four approaching, TopReviews4U editor Paul Christian caught up with one of the stars, ahead of the two-day festival on Clapham Common, on 26-27 August.


Here Dutch tropical house DJ Sam Feldt exclusively answers our questions, ahead of his set at the long-running London showpiece.


• How would you describe your musical style?

My musical style is very much rooted in the melodic or tropical style of house. I’m inspired by all different types of music and I like to take elements of different genres and put them into my own productions.

• What is different/special about playing in the UK?

The crowd in the UK is similar to the crowd back home in The Netherlands. I’d say that the English crowd is more critical than anywhere else, but they also know how to have a good time.

• ‘Show Me Love’ was a massive commercial hit, what do you think of remixes of classic tracks in general?

I like them, only when they’re done right! I enjoyed creating my own version on such a massive hit like ‘Show Me Love’, where I added my own touch and style to such a well-known track.


• With tropical house becoming mainstream, in pop songs and charts, is there any way it can reinvent itself as an underground sound, and should it?   

I think it’s all about progression. Each genre evolves over time, it keeps the music interesting and it allows producers to become more forward-thinking and innovative when creating new music.

• Who are your DJ inspirations?

Tiesto was a huge inspiration to me starting out, and he still inspires me today. My peers are also a massive influence on my music.

• What is your favourite dance track of all time?

Gigi D’Agostino – ‘The Riddle’. It’s the first single I ever bought!



• Why do you think the Netherlands is consistently at the forefront of global dance music?

We’ve had so many great DJ’ing talents come out of The Netherlands, from the likes of Tiesto, Martin Garrix, Afrojack, Nicky Romero, Oliver Heldens, Fedde Le Grand and Hardwell, there’s too many to name! We also have great festivals in the Netherlands that specifically cater to dance music, as well as hosting Amsterdam Dance event each year. Thousands from all over the world to come and enjoy and experience dance music at Amsterdam Dance Event, the city really comes to life during that week. Dance music is very much cemented in our culture and I’m honoured to wave the flag for my country.

• You made it onto DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJs - how important are these lists?

Lists like DJ Mag’s Top 100 DJ’s are important because it gives fans of your music the opportunity to get their voices heard. Although it’s mostly about popularity and doesn’t say a lot about the quality of ones set, it’s a big honour to be in the list!

• Where is more important in terms of dance music now, Las Vegas or Ibiza, or elsewhere?

Las Vegas and Ibiza are two of the leading places for dance music for sure. But there’s so many different places around the world that contribute to the dance music world, like The Netherlands or London. In London, you can turn on the radio and 80% of the tracks on mainstream radio is dance orientated. You guys have a massive dance scene over here!



• What can festival-goers at South West Four expect from your set?

Festival-goers can expect a fun, energetic set and can experience my music with my live band. It’s my first time playing at SW4 this year, I’ve heard a lot of great things from my fellow DJ’s and producers, I’m really excited to play.

For tickets and more information, click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment